Sunday, March 20, 2011

Cheerleaders

Last week during my hectic schedule, I had my last indoor soccer game of the season. At 6:15pm, I got a phone call from our goalie. She was sick, which made me sick, because that meant I'd have to go in net.

I was extremely nervous, way more nervous than usual. I let one bad goal in and I felt my spirits deflate, but after a couple of good saves, I could hear my team mates cheering me on, so I tried harder. But even with all the cheering we lost 4-1, but after a few pats on my back, I got over it.

Thess past two weeks I've watched over ten games of basketball and I've nearly lost my voice with all my cheering, but if the players are anything like me, hearing encouragement helps.

I think we all need this with our writing. A few cheerleaders calling our name, patting us on the back, and telling us we can do it. These can come in all forms, family, husbands, wives, friends, and blogging buddies, who can't literally pat you on the back, but can lift you with their words of encouragement.

I would like to thank all those who have cheered me on. I truly appreciate the lift I get when I receive an email full of cheer. And win or lose - those words will help me get over anything.

17 comments:

Laura Pauling said...

I think we underestimate the postive effect of having other writers cheer us on during the ups and downs!

Wendy Paine Miller said...

Patti, You aren't kidding. Sometimes I'm amazed at how much a difference those cheering me on can make!
~ Wendy

Melissa Amateis said...

Cheerleaders are an absolute necessity when you're a writer! I couldn't live without mine!

Colene Murphy said...

Cheerleaders are so important in life. Glad you have some great ones!!

Candice said...

My cheerleaders keep me pushing toward finishing my books. I probably would have given up with out them!

Katie Ganshert said...

So true! A little encouragement goes SUCH a long way. Isn't it amazing how God knows just when we need some?

Matthew MacNish said...

You are absolutely 100% right. Doing it alone is so much harder.

And it's way harder to defend the net in indoor soccer, the "field" is so much smaller!

Robyn Campbell said...

Patti, you said it better than I ever could have. Super post, tying your beloved sport with your beloved writing. And with both we're taking a chance. But isn't that what life is all about? It would be pretty boring if we stayed in our comfort zone. :)

Your team may have lost that one game, but you won, Patti. Because you learned about the 'pat on the back'. It can do wonders. And you'll win at writing too. :)(((hugs)))

Southpaw said...

So true! It’s amazing how just a small comment of encouragement really bolsters me up.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

So true! There is nothing more energizing than positive feedback. :-)

Connie Arnold said...

Cheerleaders and words of encouragement are certainly important! Great post, Patti!

Jennifer Hoffine said...

Yay Rah! You're so right.

Carolyn V said...

That is so awesome. It's good to have a cheerleader from time to time. (Okay, all the time.)

LTM said...

Great post, Patti! I don't know where I'd be without my cheerleaders... given up by now, I'm sure.

So I try to holler back as much as possible. Good stuff~ <3

The Happy Whisk said...

Great post. Very uplifting and fun.

Catherine Denton said...

This is a fantastic post! I thrive with encouragement.

Anonymous said...

Support is a neccessary human need, I believe. Happy to know you have an enthusiastic 'cheer team!'