Friday, February 13, 2009

First Ten Minutes

I’m not one of those people who loves to run but because I play soccer it’s a necessary evil. What I find the most interesting when I run is that it’s the first ten minutes that’s the hardest not the last ten.

It takes me ten minutes to get into a rhythm and for my body to get used to the pounding. If I can make it past ten minutes then I can run for another forty or more.

I find the same thing with writing. It takes me at least ten minutes to get into a groove where I’ve blocked everything else out: my kids, the internet, the TV, the dirty dishes. Usually it's when the kids are in bed, the internet and TV are off and my house is clean that I can sit down with a clear mind. Then once I get past that first ten minutes then I’m good to go and I can write for hours.

Happy Valentines.

3 comments:

Jessie Oliveros said...

I also find starting difficult, but once I am writing, I get trapped in that world and time slips away. That must be the writer's running high.

However, too often, by the time my house is clean and my son is asleep, I can't keep my eyes open long enough to get there.

Patti said...

I know how you feel,.

Jessica Nelson said...

So true! Writing with dirty dishes in the sink is for me, impossible. But you're right. Once we get in the groove, things start flowing.
Very cool that you play soccer! I played in high school and loved it. :-)