Monday, March 11, 2013

I am not a size 8

Sorry I've been MIA lately, we are in the grips of basketball playoffs and with two boys in the mix, it's kind of crazy. Things should slow down in April

Anyway, back to the title of my post....

Here's my confession. I am not a size 8. A few years I was, but that was only for a day when I didn't eat very much.

The thing is I've gained weight back since then, but in some stores I'm still a size 8. Although this makes me feel good, it does nothing to motivate me to exercise and eat less, because on the tag of my jeans it says I'm a size 8.

I feel this way with critiques. I remember my first real critique. It was a writer in residence at our local library. I went for our appointed time and before I saw him, I could see him looking at my pages through the window. They were loaded with red ink. I had to take a deep breath and prepare myself, but I did it. I learned to take the constructive feedback and i think I've become a better writer because of it. Sometimes, it's not easy receiving a critique, especially if you have a lot to learn like I did and still do, but they are necessary.

So I'm grateful to all the people who have offered feedback on my writing and not making me feel like I can fit into a size 8.


15 comments:

Jessica Nelson said...

Sizes are crazy!!! I can range between three sizes, just depending on the store! LOL A good fit is what I look for.
Very true about taking critiques too. I like this analogy.
We're being crazy over here with Little League baseball...ugh. lol

Connie Keller said...

I hear you about sizes--why can't manufacturers at least agree on basic measurements for sizes? I hate having to take multiple sizes of something into the dressing room.

And good critiques (the ones that really explain what you need to work on) are worth their weight in gold.

Carolyn V said...

I hate when pant sizes are different. That drives me crazy!

And I love a good crit too. So awesome! ;)

LTM said...

Hey! I like this analogy! I like it on the writing side, but I'll confess. I still prefer vanity sizing. At least when I'm un-exercised like right now--LOL! :D <3

Anonymous said...

You're gorgeous! And a good critique is worth its weight in gold. :)

M Pax said...

Sizing is nuts these days, but since i don't fit into my old size 8's, I know the new ones are a lie.

Learning to take feedback is tough. Some days I'm better at it than others.

Heidi Willis said...

This is another great analogy. I DO want to feel good -either about how I fit in my pants or in my writing - but only if it's honest. I think the reason I loved my last advisor was because every compliment from him was hard earned and I knew it meant something. Better than a hundred compliments from others!

Stina said...

The sizes are confusing. Wish the manufacturers could at least agree to keep them the same.

Martin Willoughby said...

As long as I can see my toes, I don't worry. Mind you, I am a man and we're all built like greek gods...Dionysis. :)

Anne Gallagher said...

I love this Patti. I have never been a size 8. right now I'm just trying to get back into a size 18. Shh, don't tell anyone.

Critiques are important, no doubt about that. They only make you stronger.

Anne Gallagher said...

I love this Patti. I have never been a size 8. right now I'm just trying to get back into a size 18. Shh, don't tell anyone.

Critiques are important, no doubt about that. They only make you stronger.

Felicity Grace Terry said...

I'm with Jessica on sizes which is why I never buy clothing on-line.

Surely constructive criticism is the key here or it can just come across as, well, criticism.

Tami Von Zalez said...

Yep, size 8 is what used to be size 10. Ah, to have the 20-year old body back.

Popped in from the Blog Blitz.

thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

Deanie Humphrys-Dunne said...

Everyone's size changes, but we shouldn't let it determine the person we are. That's what's important. I think it's what's on the inside that counts because it shapes who you are.
Constructive criticism is always helpful because no matter how long we've been working on anything, there's always room for improvement.
If you'd like to learn about my children's books, please stop by: www.dhdunne.blogspot.com.

Misha Gerrick said...

I actually now take my mom or someone else I trust with me when I buy clothes. That way, I tell them to get me bigger or smaller sizes until I find one that fits. (Without ever seeing the number in the tag)

Critting wise, I also have people who I trust who'll crit my work based on merit. Not on what they think I'll want to hear. Because really, editing with the latter sort of critique is pretty much impossible.