Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The BIC

I love this pen. It's the Bic Orange Fine. Although the picture shows it with a black lid, I prefer blue. This pen is considered a classic and therefore very hard to find. I've searched all over for it. I tried different stationary stores, but no one carries the Bic Orange Fine, at least not here in Canada.

I gave up and found a different pen that was somewhat comparable. The Bic Soft Feel Fine, but it wasn't quite the same.

This summer I was visiting a friend in the small town where she lived. My husband, who as you know was recovering from ankle surgery, needed an ankle brace. We went to the local pharmacy and as I trolled the aisle, waiting for him to pick out a brace, I found it. Packages of my favorite pen.

There was three packages of two and I bought every single one. I now guard them like a protective mother bear. You see I'm very particular about my pens. When I start a new project I like to carry around a coil notebook and jott things down when I think of them; like possible scenes, names of characters, or potential plot twists. If I don't have the right pen I don't like writing, so I'm very excited to have found my pens.

Is there anything that you love to use when writing.

Now I've followed Jessie's example and put up a followers list. It's a big step for me. To repeat what Jessie said; I am prepared to follow and be followed.


10 comments:

Susan R. Mills said...

I've got a thing for pens, too. I have to have a certain kind. Lucky for me, they are in abundance around here. I also have to have a certain kind of notebook. I'm sure it's mental, but if it works, who cares?

Dara said...

I like BIC pens too! My favorite: the BIC Cristal, in blue (I prefer blue ink over black too!). I lose pens like no other, so I can't tell how many of these I've gone through in the last year.

At work I hide the one Cristal pen I have otherwise I'd never see it again. We have a bunch of the Round Stic ones with the rubber padding but for some reason I prefer the plain Cristal one better.

I also carry a small purse sized coil notebook with me (along with a Cristal pen!) to write down possible scenes or areas of character development.

Natalie said...

I have a hard time writing longhand. Typing is so much faster. But I love having a huge monitor so I can see several pages at a time :)

Patti said...

Susan: glad to see I'm not alone in my pen fetish.

Dara; I love coil notebooks. I buy them in abundance.

Natalie: I like typing as well. I'm much faster at it, but I plan out the novel with longhand.

Jessie Oliveros said...

Ha, ha! I'm going to follow you now. And I am all about the pens. I have a favorite pen, too, that I'm always losing and always buying more of. Luckily, they are always avail at Wal-mart. You know, this could be an analogy. You found the pen when you weren't even looking for it...sometimes ideas or inspiration hits in just the same way.

Patti said...

Jessie: Great analogy. Hope I find more of those pens or some inspiration in the most unlikely places.

kah said...

You're so cute. I love when little things like a special pen make the word happy and magical. A writer mentioned on Twitter last night that she gets great ideas while in the shower so she has a paint pen and writes on her shower walls so she doesnt forget her ideas. THAT's the kind of pen I need. How fun :)

Patti said...

Karen: That's interesting, of course my daughter would love it.

Anonymous said...

I like the gel pens like the Pilot G2 for writing on good quality paper. I like the plain old rollerball pens for writing on cheap paper because they don't bleed through like a gel pen.

Patti said...

SW: I could never get into the gel pen, their too thick. It's funny we're all different.