Tuesday, August 31, 2010

September is the new January...

Which means one thing, resolutions.

I have six.

1. I want to spend more time doing and less time thinking.

Okay, I'll probably still do a lot of thinking, but I want to be doing the things I'm thinking about a lot more. For example; I will stop thinking about getting in shape and just do it. I will stop thinking about querying and just finish my book and do it.

2. I won't feel guilty when I can't get everything done in one day.

I work three days a week, so I spend two days a week doing everything. Cleaning, grocery shopping, visiting my family, exercising, did I mention cleaning. I don't want to feel like a failure when I don't get the laundry done on my day off, or the dishes for that matter.

3. I want to read more books of all different genres.

I read a great post by Kristen Lamb. She talked about the difference between writers and hobbyists and one of the main things was reading and I've been neglecting that part of being a writer.

4. I'm going to exercise and get to my goal wait by the time I turn 40 at the end of December.

Yes, I turn 40 in four months and yes, this is a very stereotypical resolution, but I'd rather do it now than in January. Actually I plan to lose five extra pounds, so I can eat whatever I want at Christmas.

5. I want to be comfortable in my own skin.

I am not a fancy dancy girl. I have tried to be, but it just doesn't feel right. I don't wear heels, I barely wear make up and my dream outfit is a pair of well worn jeans and a white t-shirt. I'm tired of trying to be someone I'm not, so I'm going to try to be me in life and in my writing.

6. I will not buy anything new for myself for four months.

This is a hard one for me, because I am kind of clothes horse. The last time I did this was the first four months I was married and we were starving students. This one I think might even be harder than losing weight. Actually, I'm going to start this one of the 2nd, because I have to buy Paranormalcy by Kiersten White tomorrow.

So that's it. I'm sure I could think of a lot more, (like spend more time with family and but those will have to wait til next September.

13 comments:

Laura Pauling said...

I agree sept. is a lot like Jan. A fresh start. A new season. A great time for goals!

Candyland said...

Bless you:) I want to second these resolutions for myself.

Susan R. Mills said...

I want all these things too. Well, except hitting my goal weight by the time I turn 40. That day has come and gone. I think I'll shoot for Christmas. Best of luck with all your goals.

Elana Johnson said...

Great resolutions. I so need to branch out into other genres. I also need to get in shape. In fact, there are a lot of things I need to do. I'll keep plugging away and see how life goes!

Erin MacPherson said...

Hi Patti-

This is awesome... and September is the PERFECT time for resolutions. AND, I love your idea of losing 5 extra pounds BEFORE the holidays so you can eat whatever you want and still be at your goal wait in January. Nice call.

Dara said...

I need to do #3 more. I always get books from the library and then end up never finishing them for one reason or another (I'm ridiculously picky reader).

While I don't really need to lose any weight, I should be exercising just so I'm not running out of breath doing simple things.

Patti Lacy said...

You're almost making me go find my jogging shoes.

Almost.

Patti

Tamika: said...

I definitely want to do more and think less:)

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Oh! This is making me want to start a list for myself. I love some of your goals, especially the one about not hating yourself for not getting everything done in one day. That's perfect. :)

Patti said...

Thanks for everyone's comment. I'm beginning to think I'll make this a yearly tradition and forego January.

Kasie West said...

"I'm going to try to be me in life and in my writing" --I love that. I want to try harder at this too. When we start comparing ourselves or our writing to others it never ends well. Good luck with your goals. You can do it!

Robyn Campbell said...

I am loving this post. Comfort in my own skin. That's a hard one for me, Patti. But I will try all these with you. Let's hope we're successful at them all. I home-school so I already spend a lot of time with the family. But I need quality time. Not just school work. :) Next September for that then? ;)

Carolyn V. said...

Those are awesome goals! I love it! I need to make some of my own. =)