Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Multi-Tasking

Generally, I'm terrible at multi-tasking, but I've found two things that I do well at the same time. Drive and listen to audible books.

I have about a 45 minute commute to work, give or take fifteen minutes depending on the weather. If I listen to the radio, I flip between channels, obsess over traffic and weather reports, and get frustrated with the driver in front of me driving too slow. Basically, I'm on the verge of road rage every time. So back in September, when I went to work four days a week, I signed up for Audible.com. I know you can get audible books from your library but this seemed easier.

So now I spend my commute time, which I have to do anyway, enjoying a good book. I don't mind being stuck in traffic or whether people are driving slow. It's all good.

I've chosen all kinds of books. YA, literary, chick-lit, classics, new adult. What I find is that I like listening to a literary book like, The Interestings or the Goldfinch, better than reading it. If I had to read it, it would be too easy to skip ahead. This way I listen to each sentence and fully appreciate how the story unfolds. I've listened to 11 books since September, ranging in length from 32 hours to 8 hours. That's a lot of commute time, plus I listen to the books when I go for walks or if they're really good right before bed. Helps me sleep.

The only cons against audible books as opposed to reading are that you don't see how the sentences are structured, and it is kind of lazy, but lazy listening is better than nothing at all.

How about you? Do you listen to audible books? If not, you really should.

8 comments:

The Happy Whisk said...

Books in the car are great fun.

Dawn said...

I love listening to audible books. I actually wish my commute was a little longer because I can't get much in in my drives :). I have also started having my students listen to them. I made a listening centre and I often choose those kids that totally mess around during DEAR time instead of read. They really seem to be able to be more focused with a book in CD.

Heidi Willis said...

I love listening to books! When I taught school in Texas and my commute was rather hairy, I listened to the books I was going to teach, and I found I never wanted to get out of the car at the house, or wished traffic was worse.

When we go on long car trips, our family listens to them, and when I am walking regularly, I listen. It's hard for me. I admit I am a lazy listener, so it takes a lot of concentration.

What books are you "reading"? Do you have a favorite? I listened to Flawless (the diamond heist story) last year and it still sticks with me. It's non-fiction, and I probably otherwise wouldn't have read it, but I loved listening to it.

Stina said...

I haven't because I need to see the written words or else my mind wanders. I do want to get my book on audible, but I'm not sure I'll be able to listen to it (even though a reviewer raved about it). They had two actors--male and female--do it, and I know I won't make it through a certain scene. I had a hard enough time reading it.

Misha Gerrick said...

I've tried, but I don't like the sound of someone reading stories to me, since it almost never jives with the voice in my head.

The Happy Whisk said...

Stopped in to say, Happy Christmas.

Brenda Kelly said...

I am so glad that I found audio books. My son bought me 3 credits a few Christmas' ago. Hooked ever since.

simplelife said...

Impressive!Thanks for the postalmonds bad for dogs