Monday, October 29, 2012

Change your picture or Change your life

Everyone has an idea of what makes them happy.

Lose 10, okay 15, pounds
Perfect job
Dream home
Devoted husband/wife
Perfect children
Respect of your peers
Write the best book ever

But last week I had an a-ha moment. I was watching the show "Hart of Dixie", which is about a doctor who moves to a small town to practice medicine. When someone from her school comes to do a story on her, she doesn't want to admit that she's this normal GP, so she tries to show him that she's doing amazing things (like stopping a leprosy outbreak).

And this is the respond Wade, her love interest gives her. You can watch the whole thing, because he's really cute, but it's really just the first two minutes.


Basically what he's saying is that sometimes your life doesn't match up with the picture you have in your head. So he says either: Change your picture or Change your life. So that's been my motto lately.

Yes there are things that I would like to change about my life, but for now I'm going to change my picture and still try to change parts of my life. Basically I just want to be more content.

On that note:
Things that made me happy last week: Watching my kids play sports, finishing a rough draft of a chapter this week, going to my critique group, laughing with my kids, being with my parents, listening to a very funny radio program, which I might share later or on Facebook.

So how about you? What made you happy last week?



4 comments:

Jessica Nelson said...

Oooh, great snippet! I'm with you on this. Contentment is a biiiig thing.
Things that made me happy:
Watching some fave shows
Eating brownie mix with my sister
Watching my kids play with their dad

Connie Keller said...

I've just started watching this show--it's a little tongue in cheek, but really fun.

You're so right about contentment. Instead of being thankful for all our blessings, we always want what we don't have. I feel like I need to write "Be Thankful" in big letters on my bathroom mirror... Hmm, maybe that's a great use for that tube of red lipstick that looks horrible on me.

Stina said...

This is exactly what I'm doing lately. I've changed my picture. :D

Great post, Patti!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I do wonder "how did I get here?" Sometimes we do have to go through a greiving period when a picture we had fades so much we can no longer see it. Thankfully we can make a new picture though that may make us much more content, and line up with who we really are as we grow into more of ourselves.