Monday, January 7, 2013

Happy New Year

It was an eventful Christmas holiday for us, full of sickness, cold weather, and a little bit of celebrating. Needless to say, I'm kind of glad its all over and everyone can go back to our normal routine.

Through all of the down time I've been downloading home movies from the last ten years onto my computer. It's been fun watching my now grown teenage sons and wannabe teenage daughter as little babies and kids. They go from learning to walk, to kicking their first ball, to making their first basket. (Yes, my life revolves around sports).

Sometimes we call our manuscripts our kids and get upset when someone asks us to choose our favorite one. Well just like I have three kids, I have three books.

My oldest son is like my first book. Both are almost ready to make their own way in this world.
My second son is like my second book. It's all grown up, but still has a lot of learning to do.
My third book is like my daughter. The ideas are still percolating, many pages still have to be written until we get to the end.

Its funny how protective we get of our books (just like our kids). I'm having a hard time letting both my son and my first book go.

Any advice on how to do either or both?

7 comments:

mshatch said...

Once you feel your work is ready and your CPs agree (this is important imo because sometimes we think our work is ready when it isn't) then you just have to take that leap of faith and let it go. Just do it!

Connie Keller said...

I agree with Mshatch. If you and your crit partners think it's done, then it probably is. But if you're still not sure, ask one more person you trust who hasn't read it before.

But it's really hard to start querying. When I send out my first queries, I'm so, so nervous that I sit and stare at the send button before I finally click it. :)

Laura Pauling said...

Wow! What a project to transfer all your home movies. I'm impressed. and Good luck!!!

Martin Willoughby said...

I transferred my home movies some time ago. It's fun watching them as they were.

As for the books/kids, the books are easier to let go as they don't hug you...nor do teenagers for that matter, but they will do again one day.

Carolyn V said...

That is so true!!! I have a hard time letting my books go. I haven't quite learned how to cut those apron strings. (I mean really...do I have to?) ;)

Colene Murphy said...

Awe, that's sweet! I have no kids, so can't totally relate, but I do hold my books very close! lol.

Sarah Ahiers said...

I don't have kids, but i guess my solution to letting go of the writerly kids is to write another MS. It seems to work well for me