Monday, July 2, 2012

I am Canadian

Yesterday was Canada Day. I saw lots of maple leafs, red and white shirts, face painting, BBQs, bouncy houses, and fireworks.

I love living in Canada. I know the winters are cold, but I can put on a coat. We have colourful money, which makes it easier to tell apart. I can see the mountains from my balcony. And contrary to popular opinion we do not say "eh" or "aboot", at least the majority of us don't.

In celebration of my heritage here is a copy of commercial that was popular in Canada a few years ago and pretty much sums us up.


Hey, I’m not a lumberjack, or a fur trader….
I don’t live in an igloo or eat blubber, or own a dogsled…. 
and I don’t know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada, 
although I’m certain they’re really really nice. 

I have a Prime Minister, not a president. 
I speak English and French, not American. 
And I pronounce it ‘about’, not ‘a boot’. 

I can proudly sew my country’s flag on my backpack. 
I believe in peace keeping, not policing, 
diversity, not assimilation,
and that the beaver is a truly proud and noble animal. 
A toque is a hat, a chesterfield is a couch, 
and it is pronounced ‘zed’ not ‘zee’, ‘zed’ !!!! 

Canada is the second largest landmass! 
The first nation of hockey! 
and the best part of North America 

My name is Patti!! 
And I am Canadian!!!
Here's the link on Youtube, it's probably fitting that this is from a beer commercial.


8 comments:

Stina said...

I love the commercial. :D

I missed out on the celebrations. My husband took the kids downtown and I worked on my WIP. But since I'm almost finished it, I couldn't have been happier. My kids did, though, make me wear red. So I wore my red Montreal tank top with the Canadian flag on it. Then I explained to the kids of the irony of that.

Hope you great day, Patti.

Jessica Nelson said...

Happy Canada Day to you!! So you don't speak American, huh? LOL

Melissa Amateis said...

Happy Canada Day! I admit, the stereotype of Canadians saying "a boot" and "eh" is very prevalent, probably just like everyone thinks we still travel in covered wagons here in Nebraska!

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Such a wonderfully patriotic post. A belated happy Canada Day.

Carolyn V said...

Happy Canada Day Patti! Sometimes I forget we are so far away from each other. I've only been to Canada once, but I loved my stay there. I hope I can go back sometime soon. =)

Heidi Willis said...

Happy Canada Day a day late! I love Canadians. Y'all are the best neighbors ever! Thank you from the bottom of my heart for sending down your people to help chop up our trees and restore our electricity and put out our fires. We love you!

Anonymous said...

I wasn't in Canada for Canada Day, and I spent the whole day working on revising a short story. Thanks for this post, it brought a smile to my face. :)

Bonnee Crawford said...

Canadians are awesome :) Say hi to all my relos up there for me!