Friday, January 27, 2012

Friday Favorites

My favourite thing this week is having perspective.

Let me explain...

Remember the post I did on all the soccer drama I had endured this past year. If you don't, here it is. On Tuesday I was scheduled to play against some of the ladies who have been less than sportsmanlike. I've been stressed about the game for weeks.

Then something happened.

My husband had been experiencing pain in his leg for the last week. He thought it was a calf strain, but on Tuesday we found out it was more serious. I got a call at work telling me that he was being sent to Emergency because he had two blood clots – one in each leg. His doctor told him that he was a ticking time bomb, which is kind of a scary thought.

We spent the afternoon and early evening at the hospital. He got a shot and some medicine to thin his blood and we went home. I went to the game that I had been so worried about and had a much different perspective. We lost - badly, but it's just soccer. What could of happened and might still happen is so much more important.

That is why perspective is my favourite thing this week.


How about you? What's your favourite thing this week?

15 comments:

Connie Keller said...

Wow!! I'm so glad your husband is okay. I've learned about perspective lately too. I wish I could bottle it or tie it to me with a string so I wouldn't lose it so easily.

Jennifer Hoffine said...

I'm so glad your husband's okay! I lost my sister-in-law yesterday. It will be my first funeral of somone younger than me. Things like that really do put all the other crap we stress about into perspective.

Ruth Josse said...

Wow. How scary! I hope he makes a speedy recovery. And yes, I wish I could always see the bigger picture.

Joanne said...

What a scary situation. I hope he recuperates well. Did the doctors advise what would have caused this? And can it be prevented?

Martin Willoughby said...

Yikes. At least he got it diagnosed so you know to look out for it. I can't imagine what that's like to live with.

Elana Johnson said...

Holy cow! I'm so glad the doctor found the clots before they were too life threatening. And yes, there are SO MANY things we can say "It's only soccer" to.

I love this perspective.

Colene Murphy said...

Oh no! I hope he recovers quickly! That's so scary! Will be thinking of you guys.

Southpaw said...

SCARY! That would change how things looked.

Melissa Hurst said...

Wow, that would put things in perspective! I'm so glad your husband found about the blood clots early, and I hope he has a speedy recovery.

Melissa Amateis said...

So glad they caught it in time. Nothing like an emergency like that to make us reevaluate our lives. Perspective is, indeed, something we need to change constantly, I think.

Stina said...

I hope he's doing better!!!! That is scary, and it does put things into perspective.

mshatch said...

yours is way better than mine but I did manage to revise a few chapters and finish another and that is a very good thing.

Very glad your hubby is ok.

Robyn Campbell said...

Oh Patti! I am so thankful he's okay. I will be praying that he continues to do well. I mean that! And you're right about perspective. I learned to do that years ago with my Christopher. My fav thing this week? I finally completely finished a picture book. Yaaahhhoooiiiieee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peggy Eddleman said...

Oh my goodness! So scary! Perspective is such a valuable thing. Too bad we have to go through such scary things to gain it!

Andrea Mack said...

Oh, I'm glad everything is turning out okay!! It's interesting how one event can change a person's entire outlook...and something to remember about constructing characters, too.