Sunday, January 23, 2011

Seriously people - seriously

I would just like to start this post by saying I don't watch Jersey Shore, but even though I don't watch it, I know who Snooki is. Well this week as I was surfing through the Entertainment Weekly website, I came across this story.

Basically, Snooki wrote a book and it is now number 24 on the NY Times bestsellers list. Now I know I shouldn't judge and I haven't read the book, but really. . . I mean really.

Anyway, I guess there is some hope to gain from this. Like the article said: Congratulations, Shnookums: You’re a true inspiration to writers everywhere, because if you can publish a successful book, anyone can.

Hopefully we all don't have to go on a reality show to do it. On the other hand, maybe we should create our own writer reality series.

I heard someone suggest once that you could put five writers on a bus and have them drive around the country together on a book tour, wait that would mean we need a published book. Any other ideas?

On a different note:

Last week's goals: Finish chapter 8 and write chapter 9 and send four queries.
Result: I finished chapter 8, started chapter 9, sent one query.
This week: Don't eat peanut butter on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Write draft of chapter 9 and send the three queries I didn't send last week.

11 comments:

Katie Ganshert said...

Okay - the peanut butter comment made me laugh!

Congrats on sending out queries Patti! That takes courage!

Lindsay N. Currie said...

Ahhh! Congrats on entering the querying trenches! It sounds like you have done a good job of reaching your goals and as for the peanut butter goal . . . perhaps I'll try to stay away from the leftover ribs today LOL!

Angela said...

Okay, so you did really good on your goals this week. I am jealous because I only finished one of my two chapters. Now I have to work twice as hard this week.

Seriously, though, I love reading your goals. And I doubt you'd want to be on a reality show just to sell a book. Can you imagine having a camera crew following you around at all hours? I much prefer my privacy.

Paul Greci said...

I eat peanut butter almost everyday.

Good luck with the queries!! I hope you get some good news soon.

Anne Gallagher said...

Yes, I agree...seriously, Snookie???

I just really want to know how much she paid the ghostwriter.

Congrats on sending out the query. I sent my exclusive out on Saturday. I'm biting my nails until she gets back to me.

Carolyn V. said...

I just found the love for peanut butter! Especially the chunky kind. Where has that delicious stuff been all my life?

As for the Snookie. I don't think the people who read her book will be the same audience that will read mine. But maybe they will be. *sigh*

LTM said...

can I be on the bus??? sigh. I guess Snooki's pumping money into the system, yes? :o|

Colene Murphy said...

Congrats on your progress!
I used to be truly irked by the fact that she could be so high up on the list and didn't even write the book herself, but a blogger last week mentioned how, no matter what the content of the book is like, she is bringing in big bucks for the literary industry that can have great benefits for other (real) writers. And that really made me feel a little better. Not a WHOLE lot but, a little. Maybe no a publisher can afford to sign 2 new authors instead of one, you know?

Anonymous said...

Yahoo to being on track with your goals. I don't know who Snookin' is so I'm much more likely to read you over her!

Susan R. Mills said...

Yeah, the whole Snooki thing is crazy. Anyway, congrats on your progress last week.

lotusgirl said...

*shakes head* honestly... It's crazy. Congrats on the progress for your wip.

No PB? That's just cruel.