Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Don't miss out


First of all I want to apologizing to everyone who commented on Monday's post. I usually email a response to your comment, but procrastination got in the way and then Christmas shopping took over, which is what I want to talk about today.

Back in September I made a goal not to buy anything for myself for four months. Anyone who knows me, knows that was huge, because I kind of love shopping. So although I didn't go total cold turkey, I did pretty good. One pair of soccer shorts $26 and one coat $35. Not bad - right?

Well today I went to the mall to do some shopping and it was so much fun. I got presents for my family and a dress for me since I do have a Christmas party and two weddings to go to this month. But the best part was shopping with my sisters and mom, who I haven't really done anything with since I made my goal. So even though I did really well on my goal - I've missed time with my family.

How does this relate to writing?

It's good to make goals, but don't let it get in the way of other things that are maybe more important.

18 comments:

Ellie Garratt said...

What is said at the end is so true! Thanks for reminding me.

Unknown said...

Glad you met your goal. It sounds like self-imposed hard work.
Shopping! It hasn't been the same since my daughter went to Uni. I've save money though.

The Happy Whisk said...

Good for you on doing so well. Very cool. Glad to read you had some fun with family.

Robyn Campbell said...

Christmas shopping? Oh yeah, that thing I haven't even STARTED yet. GAH! Someone please help me. :)

And ya had to have the coat, yanno?

I'm glad you met your goal. But that missed time is missed. HUH?

Love the last sentence, pal. So true, so true. :)

Samantha VĂ©rant said...

How very true! And I'm like the anti-woman. I kind, sort of hate shopping. Good for my husband...

Colene Murphy said...

So true! Goals are a must have in life in general. Writing it is critical. Can you please come do my Christmas shopping? It stresses me out...;)

lotusgirl said...

True. I have two wedding over Christmas too. Both nieces.

Susan R. Mills said...

So true!

Carol Riggs said...

Good point! Priorities, always priorities. People and relationships are always more important than our writing (or should be).

Melissa Amateis said...

I absolutely agree! You can't write well unless you live life to its fullest. :-)

Melissa Hurst said...

I did the Black Friday shopping frenzy with my sister. It was crazy insane, but I had a blast spending time with her. I don't get to do that as often as I would like.

Great reminder to spend time with those who are important to us:)

Jody Hedlund said...

Wow! That is incredibly amazing that you went for four months without buying anything! Glad you had fun today with your family!

Stina said...

My goal was to be finished my first draft by the time the kids start Christmas break. Um, not happening. So now my goal is to be finished by the end of the month. Hopefully!

Wow, Patti, you are going to be a busy girl this month. :D

Jessie Oliveros said...

It's funny. You love shopping. I hate shopping. Let's be crit partners.

Melissa Gill said...

the only time I ever go shopping is when my Mom and sisters drag me.

Felicity Grace Terry said...

I put myself on a book buying ban earlier this year but did not do nearly as well as you on your shopping ban. Well done, I'm impressed.

Carolyn V. said...

I totally agree.

Sounds like you had a great time. =)

notesfromnadir said...

I really like your analogy. But sometimes you really do need that new coat especially if it's on sale for only $35.