Tuesday, October 26, 2010

An Oldie but a Goodie

I've decided to take the rest of the week off. I need to get myself organized. I'll be stalking around, but won't be posting anything new.

But for those who are new here's an old post that I liked.

The First Ten Minutes

I’m not one of those people who loves to run, but because I play soccer it’s a necessary evil. What I find the most interesting is that the first ten minutes are the hardest not the last ten.

It takes me ten minutes to get into a rhythm and for my body to get used to the pounding. If I can make it past ten minutes then I can run for another forty or more.

I find the same thing with writing. It takes me at least ten minutes to get into a groove where I’ve blocked everything else out: my kids, the internet, the TV, the dirty dishes. Usually it's when the kids are in bed, the internet and TV are off and my house is clean that I can sit down with a clear mind. Then once I get past that first ten minutes then I’m good to go and I can write for hours. Okay, maybe not hours, but it sure feels like it.

9 comments:

Felicity Grace Terry said...

A fascinating comparison. Enjoy the rest of your week.

lotusgirl said...

How true it is. The hardest part is getting started.

Heidi Willis said...

That is so, so true!! I've never thought of that, but it's true for both my exercising (which tends to be more on the elliptical than running side) and for writing! Once I get really started, I don't want to stop.

Of course I never ran a marathon, so that would probably change. But I did write a book or two, which is the writing equivalent of a marathon, no? And I can say that once I get rolling, it's very hard to stop!

Unknown said...

So true! I like the 10 rule. Just giving yourself 10 minutes to start anything gets the momentum going. It's giving myself that 10 minutes to start that I have trouble with sometimes! Have a great week Patti!

Anonymous said...

Have a great break! I hear you about the 10 minutes. Sometimes my ten turns into an hour! ;)

Aubrie said...

Oh yes! getting started is the hardest part of writing. It's the same with practicing an instrument as well.

Melissa Hurst said...

I agree. It's so hard to open that word document and get started writing, but after the first ten minutes the words flow. Often, I have a hard time quitting:)

Ishta Mercurio said...

Oh, yeah, me too. Getting started can be tough, but once I'm in the groove, I can go for hours without even noticing.

Candice said...

You're so right, when I find I don't feel like writing I know I just have to do it for a little while.