Thursday, September 16, 2010

When I’m 64


Last weekend, me and my husband (or is it my husband and I), went to the mountains. We climbed another small mountain, hiked to the bottom of a waterfall, and went mountain biking, just your typical romantic weekend. Before we left to go back to normal life, we decided to go check out some rock climbing routes nearby.

As we walked along the road, the mountain we climbed last year loomed beside us. It's big and has a flat front (see photo). Apparently, you can rock climb up the face, and it's something my husband has always wanted to do, but he told me he never would.

"Why?" I asked.

"Because I'll never be good enough. It takes time to be able to climb at that level and at 43, I'm running out of it. I'd have to go climb every weekend in the summer and go to the indoor centers in the winter. I don't have the time or the body to do that." (Sorry hubby for revealing your age)

Do you ever feel like this with writing? You'll never get a book published. There isn't enough time to hone your skills.

Between working, family, and keeping up with other responsibilities, sometimes I feel like there's not much time to write effectively or go to conferences, or take classes, or even read a book on writing. Today, I work all day (I'm writing this during my break). From work I go straight to a parent meeting with my sons volleyball team. Go home, pick up younger son take him to basketball. Go home get older son, take him to basketball. Take younger son home. Go to my soccer practice. I will get home at 10pm tonight. Now today's not totally typical, but pretty close. It's a repeat from Tuesday and yesterday I took son to volleyball right after work and got home at 8:30pm too tired to do anything. (Ranting is now done)

The good news about writng, is that unlike rock climbing or soccer or anything active, there isn't a small window of opportunity. You can write until you're 64 or later.

Really, it comes down to patience. I know, sometimes that word is like a swear word to writers, but it's true. My life will change. Kids will stop playing sports. I'll hurt my knee again and be done playing soccer. Kids will leave home and that's when I'll have so much time I won't know what to do with myself.

So just remember when you're feeling frustrated with your lack of time, you really still have lots of it. Unless you're 63.

14 comments:

Carolyn V. said...

Sometimes I hate that word "patience"- but it really is what it comes down to. As long as one is willing to put the time into it. (I hope I can!)

Susan R. Mills said...

This post made me a little sad. I don't want to think about the day when I have an abundance of time because my kids are gone.

Melissa Hurst said...

I agree with Susan. I have to do most of my writing after the kids are in bed, but I'm not looking forward to the day when they leave home.

strugglingwriter said...

I plan on blogging when I'm 95!

You should encourage your husband to try next time he's near that mountain. You never know until you try!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

That is a great way to look at it, Patti. My schedule is similar to yours right now. It CAN be frustrating. And patience CAN be an ugly word sometimes. We are fortunate as writers, though, that age has nothing to do with performance or endurance. :-)

Cinette said...

As writers, thank goodness we don't have the same worries as professional atheletes;-) Good thing too. Stairs are starting to make me winded. Where did I bury that darned treadmill?

Anonymous said...

All you can do is your best. Finding the time to write can be quite challenging indeed. I keep feeling, though, I'm on a stop watch. I will be 40 in a few months and have a wonderful family. I also work out full time. I am also going blind. Being a mother, a wife, and a writer is all a part of who I am. I write when I can, but still can't get that ticking out of my head.

Carrie

Jaydee Morgan said...

I'm terrible at patience and am always looking for more time. I know that time will come soon - hopefully I'll put it to good use when it does :)

lotusgirl said...

I've got tons of time left. Woohoo!

Unknown said...

Or 93
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2008/aug/11/1

kah said...

93 is the new 63. So I have PLENTY of time. I have to keep telling myself that cuz right now I feel like I'm standing at the base of Mt. Fuji.

Just keep climbing! :)

Jessie Oliveros said...

I figure when my life slows down I won't know what to do with it. I think I write best in spurts. Give me hours, and I'm NOT productive.

Robyn Campbell said...

I'm with Jessie.^ If I have lots of time, I tend to waste it. What is with me anyway? SHEESH. :)

Great post though Patti. I see folks saying they have tons of time left, but they really don't know that. So keep writing and get the book DONE. :)

Heidi Willis said...

Exactly. I keep telling myself the same thing. But it's our nature to want what we want RIGHT NOW. Even as adults.

THis is a great (and much needed) reminder that we have time. Rejection today doesn't mean the end of the road.