Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Another year, another mountain

For those new to my blog, my family has a goal of climbing a mountain every summer. We’ve done eight so far. They’ve ranged from moderate to difficult, but not too difficult as my youngest is only eight. For the most part they’ve taken us at least three hours to do, sometimes longer depending on the complaining.

This summer we have procrastinated our climb, which we have also done in the past, but this year the weather has not cooperated.

We went out to the mountains on Monday to our designated mountain to find the top covered in snow, so we went to plan B and discovered snow at the trail head, so we went to our plan C.

Mesa Butte is a mountain, albeit a small mountain.

It only took us an hour to go up and back and was more like climbing up a large hill.

We’ll try to do another mountain if the weather warms up, but so far it’s not looking good. So in order to keep the tradition alive, we’re counting this mountain and really it still had a great view.

Sometimes going to Plan C isn’t so bad.


14 comments:

Jessica Nelson said...

You guys climbed together, that's what counts. :-) Sounds fun!

Melissa Gill said...

What an awesome tradition. Sometimes you have to go to plan C to keep your goal alive. Good for you for keeping it going.

Melissa Hurst said...

Aw, I love that pic! What a way to share a view.

Susan R. Mills said...

The view is beautiful. Plan C's are sometimes better than Plan A's. :)

Aubrie said...

What a wonderful and symbolic idea for family bonding. :) I love it.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

What an awesome tradition, Patti! My mother-in-law would adore you! :-)

Jessie Oliveros said...

That's something your kids will remember forever! I love that you do that every summer. I wish I had mountains, and maybe slightly older children, so I could copy your family tradition. Maybe I'll change our names to the Nielsons. And I'll take up soccer.

Unknown said...

Gorgeous view! I have found that Plan C is often the better plan in the end!

Carolyn V. said...

It has a beautiful view! What a great tradition, no matter how big or small the mountain is. =)

Dawn Simon said...

Beautiful photo. No matter what you climbed--a hill or a mountain--you did it together. That's what matters! Nice tradition. (I'm afraid of heights, so I'd take a large hill any day. Hee!)

Kasie West said...

I think that is the coolest tradition ever. That view is amazing. One summer (when your youngest is older) you should come out this way and hike Half Dome.

lotusgirl said...

Great tradition. A wonderful metaphor for life too.

Patti Lacy said...

HOW cool! Would LOVE to have had that as a family goal!

Think your place would be a good one to live!!!

Patti

Southpaw said...

Plan C look pretty darn good!