Sunday, October 18, 2009

Long Lost Book

Years ago I fell in love a series called "The Keeping Days" by Norma Johnston. It's about a young girl at the turn of the 1900th century trying to deal with family crisis, a test of faith, and new love.

There was six books in the series, but I only ever read and was able to find the first three and the last two. I've searched for the book called "A Mustard Seed of Magic" for years and years. I even wrote the publisher asking for the book. My local library never carried it, so I went for a lot of years without the one book to complete the series. (I was going to put a number, but it made me feel too old).

A month ago our local library joined this system where they can get books from other libraries, I can't remember what it's called. So one day I went on line and guess what, they had the book. I have never been more excited.

I finished reading A Mustard Seed of Magic this weekend and it was wonderful. In it the main character wants to be a writer, this is probably why I was inspired by this series. There was so much great advice that I actually took notes.

This quote from the main character hit me and I think it's how a lot of us feel.

"A writer wasn't a real writer until his work was read, not just by himself and his near and dear, but by the world to whom he had things that he must say."

For many years the main character wrote only for herself, but it had to come to a point where she wanted others to read her work. I'm at that point now. I'm no longer hiding it in a shelf, I'm ready to try and share with the world. At least in two weeks I am, that's how much editing time I have left.

It's amazing to me how this main character's story can still motivate me even after 20 plus years. Now I have the pain of giving the book that I've tried so hard to find back to the library. Part of me just wants to tell them I lost it and pay for the book, but that wouldn't be honest even though it's extremely tempting.


13 comments:

JKB said...

AW

*hug*

Have you tried Amazon? Somebody might be selling one!

Now that I know you love it so, I'll start to keep an eye out. Maybe we both can find it.

Natalie said...

How fun!!!

And good luck getting yourself out there in a few weeks!

Patti said...

Jen: I need to get over my issues with buying things over the internet.

Natalie: Hopefully I can get everything done in the next two weeks.

K. M. Walton said...

Go get 'em, Patti!!! Querying is both scary and exhilarating at the same time.

Go for it.

Susan R. Mills said...

I can't stand it when I've borrowed a really good book from the library or from a friend and have to give it back. I usually end up buying it myself. I hope you can find it somewhere. Good luck finishing up your edits. I have two weeks on mine too. We'll get it done. :)

Patti said...

KM: Thanks for the encouragement. Part of me won't believe it until I push that send button.

Susan: We'll be querying buddies. :)

Kasie West said...

That's so cool. Isn't it amazing where we can find inspiration? Good luck on your editing.

Tamika: said...

Sounds you read all the inspiration you need to finish those edits! Being a writer is both exhilarating and exhausting. I wouldn't trade it in for the world.

Happy writing!

Patti said...

Kasie and Tamika: Thanks for the well wishes.

Melissa Hurst said...

Good luck! I know it's scary to put your work out there, but I know you can do it!

Laura Best said...

Years ago I found a used copy of a book my daughter loved as a child I believe it was on Amazon...Do they not have a used book section and have you tired there? If it wasn't amazon it was some other bookish place like that but I'm fairly certain it was Amazon.

Patti said...

Melane: I'm getting braver each day.

Laura: I think I've seen it on Amazon, but I have issues about buying things on line.

Anonymous said...

That's dedication to finding a book! You must have really loved the others. Maybe one day you'll find a copy for sale. :)