Sunday, September 27, 2009

Back Pain thrown in with some success


I learned this week when they say you should consult a physician before starting a new exercise program, you probably should.

A few weeks ago I decided I was going to get into shape by following the training program my son brought home from one of his university basketball camps, plus I was going to run 2x a week up and down a hill. My first clue should have been university, in other words young people.

It went well for two weeks. I was sore, but preserving through the lunges, squats, and push ups. But last Monday I bent over at work to reach for a file and threw out my back. I've had back pain before, but nothing like this. I couldn't move, I couldn't walk. It hurt to sneeze and cough.

I went home from work, had a hot bath and went to bed. The next day I went to physio where she shoved needles in my back and proceeded to slide them up and down in an attempt to loosen up the muscle around my back. On Thursday I went again and had acupuncture. There were needles everywhere; feet, ankles, back, wrists, and even the top of my head.

On Saturday, I was finally able to stand up straight and decided to go to my older son's basketball game, which they won and was exciting, but then I had to take my younger son to his football game. First they had to be there one hour early and the game before them was running behind. Needless to say I arrived at 2:30pm and left at 6pm. I was exhausted and my back was killing me. I was supposed to go to a soccer social that night, but called in sick, a first for me.

Sorry this has been a poor me post, but it does end on a good note. I promised myself (before I hurt my back) that I'd write three chapters a week and since last Friday I've written 6000 words on my new WIP, bringing the grand total to - 21,912.

I'm kind of excited because I've been working on the same project for so long that I was beginning to wonder if I could write anything else, turns out maybe I can.

Now just 40,00- 50,000 more words to go until the first draft is done.

Have you ever had to work through some pain and suffering to meet a real or self-imposed deadline?

14 comments:

JKB said...

Yeah. And it stinks.

I'm so sorry you are going through this! Please take care of yourself!!!

lotusgirl said...

Yeah, I'm at an age where I seem to be hurting myself a lot. I'm just been recovering from a sprained wrist. It's amazing how much you use your left hand when you can't use it.

Jessie Oliveros said...

Ouch. Patty. So sorry. But so glad that you made progress on your book. Congratulations. I think if I was in that much pain I would lie on the couch and get nothing done.

Susan R. Mills said...

Sorry about your back, but congrats on the word count. I hope your back heals quickly, but that you keep up with the writing even when you can move freely again.

Patti said...

Jen: Feeling better today, but still can't drive a stick shift.

Lois: I had a broken wrist this summer so I know how that feels.

Jessie: I spent a good amount of time on the couch bemoaning my situation.

Susan: I'm pretty happy about the word count. I feel like I need to see if I can write another book.

Kasie West said...

Ugh. Sounds awful. But maybe that consult a physician is true because my right ankle hasn't stopped hurting since running that 5K. I think I tried to do too much with too little training. It's horrible. Good luck with the back, but it sounds like you've gotten a lot of writing done. Hopefully your character won't sound too bitter with all the pain you're in. LOL

Patti said...

Kasie: hopefully your ankle will feel better. I've had that injury as well. Getting old is horrible.

J.R. Johansson said...

Ouch! That sounds terrible. The things we do to our poor bodies in the name of "fitness" ;) Congrats on your WIP! Sounds like it's flying along.

Natalie said...

Oh, that sounds terrible. I hope it gets better soon. I am a baby about pain/sickness/exhaustion etc. When I feel yucky I don't get anything done so I am very, very impressed by your dedication even though you felt terrible.

Anonymous said...

Good job with the writing and sorry about the back pain.

I have been amazingly pain free in hockey, which is nice. It's a long season, though.

Patti said...

Jenn: I just have to remember I'm not 20 and indestructable anymore.

Natalie: I haven't done anything for a week and feeling horrible now.

SW: Congrats on the hockey, sounds like it's going well.

Anonymous said...

Lately, all the time!! Sometimes I am so exhausted I just want to say forget it, but I know I will just become even more miserable. I tell myself if I can do it now, imagine how great it will go when these obstacles are lessened.

I was in a car accident years ago that broke all the ligaments and nerves and muscles in my back. I know back pain. And it keeps coming back! I am sorry you had to go through that Patti!

By the way, good for you writing! You did lying down? It wasn't sore to type?

Patti said...

Jennifer: That sucks about your back. I remember you talking about lying down to type a few months ago. I was lucky enough to be able to sit, but only for short amounts of time.

Jessica Nelson said...

So far I haven't had to do work too hard through pain or suffering. *crossing fingers*

I'm so sorry about your back and hope it heals up quickly.

Congrats on all the wordage! That's awesome. :-)

Thanks for stopping by my blog.